Tuesday, June 30, 2009

// // Leave a Comment

Pre Peach Tree Road Race Update




The 6.2 mi Peachtree Road Race is just around the corner, but am I ready? I've been following my Marathon training program, I've added weights, and I'm still riding once a week. I'd say I'm better off now than I was before I attempted my first marathon. Unfortunately, that's not saying much considering the little amount of training I did for that marathon.

I started my marathon training program about 2 months ago with a 3 mile run / walk routine. Although my mileage is still low and I'm still on the run / walk routine my legs are much stronger and more importantly they're injury free. I attribute this lack of injury to my slow introduction to running. It's giving my body time to get used to the constant pounding it'll be taking from the concrete and blacktop. It's also allowing me to more easily adapt to the ridiculous heat index we've been experiencing here in Florida this year.

A few weeks ago I joined the YMCA so I could start lifting weights. I've only been able to go a couple times so far but I'll be hittin em hard after the Peach Tree Road Race. This should also help keep the injuries at bay once I get into the 10+ mile training runs. One small injury and I could very well be sitting out one or both of the Goofy runs come January.

Riding is my passion, but I'm sure you already knew that. I would ride every day if I could, but I can't. I live too far away from the good trail systems to get a daily dose in so we have to make time on the weekend. This once a week ride comes at the expense of a training run. I'm supposed to get a run in both Saturday and Sunday - especially important for someone planning on running the Goofy. I've been riding about 15 or so miles each ride with the exception of a 32 mile ride on the Santos Epic Trails last weekend. My wife, Theresa, had been off the bike for about a year due to some back issues, but she's been joining me on the weekend rides and doing very well. She's even agreed to try a 50 miler with me next year! AWESOME!

I'll post up with a Post Peach Tree Update in a week or so.



0 comments:

Post a Comment