Tuesday, June 9, 2009

// // 4 comments

Toyota Tundra - My First Full Sized Truck

I've been sporting a Toyota Tacoma for the past 6 years. The first Tacoma I owned was a 1st generation extended cab version with the TRD off road package. It was small even with the extended cab, especially for someone my size. I can honestly say that I never got used to cramming myself into it. Despite the small size I absolutely loved that truck. It's till my favorite truck, even today.

In 2006 Theresa and I had decided to trade in the miniature bad ass for a newer, bigger, 2nd generation model. This one had more leg & head room than the previous generation. Plus, we decided to get a double cab in case we wanted to haul anyone else around. We used that truck for everything from tailgating at the Rays games to hauling bikes, from moving friends furniture to moving mulch. It really did serve us well. It was still just a bit too small for me, especially when we were hauling passengers and my seat had to be moved up.

After discussing the possibility of getting a full sized truck for months we finally decided to look around. We knew we weren't going to spend the money on a brand new truck, so we started browsing for a used one. Let me tell you, there aren't many used Tundras around. We went to our friendly neighborhood Toyota dealer, Gettel Toyota, to see what they had. We were in luck, they had 3. After noticing a used ash tray and a bad smoke stench in the first one we quickly moved on to the other two. One was a beige double cab V8 and the other was a white double cab V6. The beige one had the more desirable V8 but the white one had a slightly nicer interior and some body trim that the beige one didn't. It also had close to 30,000 fewer miles.

After weighing our options we decided to take the white one for a test drive. We now own a White 2007 Toyota Tundra. I've already installed my Rocky Mounts Clutch bike racks in the bed so the truck is good to go. We even tested them out this weekend with a drive up to Wilderness Trails and a 15 mile ride. The only thing that the Tacoma had over this truck is storage space, but who needs to tote all that crap around anyway?

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new truck, my friend. You should really test it out and drive to NC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait so the smaller truck had MORe storage space? shorter bed on the TONdra?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and PICTURES! man... we need visual proof that you arent blowing smoke brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what they say about a guy with a big truck right?

    ReplyDelete