Thursday, January 22, 2009

// // 2 comments

Foiled again...

Foiled once again! I picked up my new Superfly frame a week ago and started gearing up for a few endurance rides. After just two short rides I start experiencing a debilitating pain in my knee. After a bit of research I learn that this pain has a name. It's called Iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS). Iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) occurs when there is irritation to this band of fibrous tissue. The irritation usually occurs over the outside of the knee joint, at the lateral epicondyle, the end of the femur(thigh) bone. The iliotibial band crosses bone and muscle at this point; between these structures is a bursa which should facilitate a smooth gliding motion. However, when inflamed, the iliotibial band does not glide easily, and pain associated with movement is the result. So much pain in fact that I can't even complete a 3 mile jog.

This injury is the result of my own stupidity. I tried running the Disney Marathon with very little training. Approximately 20 miles into the marathon the pain in my knee was so severe that I had to stop running completely. I did manage to jog across the finish line but it was a very painful feat. I thought taking two weeks off form running might help alleviate some of the pain. Apparently I was mistaken. I attempted a 3 mile run last night but was forced to stop running after a mile and a half. I walked the remaining mile and a half back to the homestead.

I was planning on participating in 6hrs of El Legarto this Sunday but am now reconsidering it. I'd rather rest and do an easy ride this weekend in an effort to "save myself" for Ididride, which is being held on Jan 31st. I'm planning on doing an easy ride at Alafia on Saturday morning at which time I'll make my decision on El Legarto.

For now I need to start stretching, icing, and taking some sort of anti-inflammatory. Hopefully I can get the inflammation down enough to alleviate some of the pain in time for my next event.

2 comments:

  1. That sucks dude, the other Luis has the same condition too.
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, I don't think mine is as bad as Luis'. I'm hoping anyways.

    ReplyDelete