Saturday, September 13, 2008

// // Leave a Comment

I fell...finally!

I still remember my first mtb spill. I was riding my GT XCR 4000 on beacon hill in Spokane, Wa. The trail was pretty loose from the motor bikes. My friend Nick and I came flying around a corner and my rear tire slipped out from under me. I slid off the trail and came to a stop when my bike it a rock, actually it was my rear derailleur that hit the rock. I was fine but my bike was pretty messed up. Fortunatley I was able to bend the rear derailleur back into place so I could ride out. That was over 8 years ago and I haven't fallen since...until the other day.I had mapped out a route of intermediate trails at Boyette Scrub Preserve and decided that I was going to go for a long ride...alone (mistake #1). I rode the 2 mile service rode to the trail head and began my route. I rode Inner Loch Ness, West Meadow, Randy's Trail, Gator Pit, Golf Cart, Mt. Boyette, and Canyon. The initial plan was to ride only the intermediate trails, but, when I came across the North Abyss, a "black diamond" trail, I just couldn't help myself. I had to try it (mistake #2). Don't worry though, I made it through with out so much as a scratch. The problem with taking the North Abyss was that it completely wore me out. This should have been an obvious sign to head back to the truck.I, however, decided to make mistake #3 and finish my pre-determined route of intermediate trails. I was most of the way through Sidewinder when I noticed a bunch of branches laying in the middle of the trial and a temporary trail leading out to the service road. I simply figured that some tree branches had fallen there. I proceeded to ride around them (mistake #4) and on to SWAMP Thing. I later discovered that the tree branches were supposed to be a sign that the trail was in bad shape and should be closed. It's a warning system of sorts that mountain bikers use to warn other riders. SWAMP Thing truned out to be full of mud and frustrated me even more. I was getting really weak and the mud just made things worse. I rode down a hill picking up some speed only to have it taken from me when I hit the patch of mud at the bottom. I lost so much momentum that I came to a complete stop half way up the other side. I tried clipping out but there was so much Mud packed into my pedals and shoes that my foot didn't budge. I'm sure you can image what happened next - I fell! Threre was about a 3 foot support wall holding the trail in place. Beyond that there were trees, shrubs and more mud. I encountered them all...with my foot still clipped in. My ankle twisted and turned as I slid down the hill. It eventually clipped out but the damage was already done. I thought I had broken it. Fortunatley it wasn't. I still had to get back up the hill and out of the park. That was another couple miles! Needless to say it was pretty swollen and bruised the next day

0 comments:

Post a Comment